With the continued threat of COVID-19 variants and other emerging infectious-disease risks, IPRO and the Home Care Association of New York State (HCA) are working together under a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-led project to bring critical infection-control education to frontline healthcare staff in New York State. Project Firstline is supported by Health Research Inc. (HRI), the corporation that administers funding to further public health goals of the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and other entities.
Its goal is to provide innovative, engaging, and effective training on infection control protocols directly to frontline healthcare personnel and the public health workforce, building on existing training for home health aides, personal care aides, and other direct caregivers, along with a special emphasis on training frontline staff who are not required to complete mandatory infection control training for re-licensure.
This toolkit provides the training outline and links to the associated training presentations and videos as well as all evaluation tools that can be installed in your agency’s Learning Management System.
Chapters 1 – 5 are designed for all staff members.
Chapter 6 – Is for nurses only
Each Chapter module contains a corresponding Pre & Post Test that must be completed in order to progress on to the next Chapter module. At the completion of all Foundational Level Training Modules (6 for nurses; 5 for all other staff types), the program evaluation must be completed.
To receive an official Certificate of Completion for each staff member completing the training, agencies must submit their agency roster of participating staff affirming completion of all training modules and the corresponding program evaluations for each participant to:
- Key Educational Takeaways PFL.pdf
- Project Firstline Pre and Post Questions.pdf
- Project First Line Facilitator Toolkit Session Feedback Form
- Project Firstline Certificate of Completion Roster Form
Chapter 1: Introduction to Infection Control and Virus Basics
- The Concept of Infection Control
- The Basic Science of Viruses – Part 1 & 2
Chapter 2: PPE and Respirator Basics
- Eye Protection
- Gowns & Gloves
Chapter 3: Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Basics
- Cleaning? Disinfection? What’s the Difference and Why does it Matter?
Chapter 4: Source Control and Hand Hygiene
- What is Source Control?
- Do We Really Have to Talk About Hand Hygiene? Again? Yes!
Chapter 5: How COVID-19 Spreads
- How Respiratory Droplets Spread COVID-19
- How Viruses Spread from Surfaces to People
- How Can COVID-19 Spread When You Don’t Feel Sick?
- Virus Strains- What do new COVID strains mean for Infection Control?
- How COVID-19 Spreads – A Review
Chapter 6: Injection Safety (Nurses Only)
- Part 1: How Do I Safely Use a Multi-Dose Vaccine Vial?
- Part 2: How Do I Safely Use a Multi-Dose Vial?
- Multi-dose Vials – Review
For questions related to the modules or instructions on installation into your agency’s Learning Management System, please contact: